Sebald, Joseph F. Heat Power Products Corporation, Bloomfield, New Jersey.
- Additional Readings
A heat-transfer device used to condense a vapor, usually steam, by absorbing its latent heat in a cooling fluid, ordinarily water. Most surface condensers consist of a chamber containing a large number of 0.5–1-in.-diameter (1.25–2.5-cm) corrosion-resisting alloy tubes through which cooling water flows. The vapor contacts the outside surface of the tubes and is condensed on them. The tubes are arranged so that the cooling water passes through the vapor space one or more times. About 90% of the surface is used for condensing vapor and the remaining 10% for cooling noncondensable gases. Air coolers are normally an integral part of the condenser but may be separate and external to it. The condensate is removed by a condensate pump and the noncondensables by a vacuum pump. See also: Heat transfer; Steam condenser; Vapor condenser
The content above is only an excerpt.
for your institution. Subscribe
To learn more about subscribing to AccessScience, or to request a no-risk trial of this award-winning scientific reference for your institution, fill in your information and a member of our Sales Team will contact you as soon as possible.
to your librarian. Recommend
Let your librarian know about the award-winning gateway to the most trustworthy and accurate scientific information.
AccessScience provides the most accurate and trustworthy scientific information available.
Recognized as an award-winning gateway to scientific knowledge, AccessScience is an amazing online resource that contains high-quality reference material written specifically for students. Contributors include more than 9000 highly qualified scientists and 43 Nobel Prize winners.
MORE THAN 8500 articles and Research Reviews covering all major scientific disciplines and encompassing the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology and McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science & Technology
115,000-PLUS definitions from the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms
3000 biographies of notable scientific figures
MORE THAN 19,000 downloadable images and animations illustrating key topics
ENGAGING VIDEOS highlighting the life and work of award-winning scientists
SUGGESTIONS FOR FURTHER STUDY and additional readings to guide students to deeper understanding and research
LINKS TO CITABLE LITERATURE help students expand their knowledge using primary sources of information