Central nervous system
Webster, Douglas B. Department of Otorhinolaryngology and Biocommunication, Louisiana State University Medical Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Last reviewed:March 2018
Show previous versions
- Links to Primary Literature
- Additional Readings
The portion of the nervous system composed of the brain and spinal cord in vertebrates. The division of the vertebrate nervous system comprising the brain and spinal cord is known as the central nervous system (see illustration). In general, the central nervous system is responsible for the processing of information that is received from various parts of the vertebrate body; it receives information from sensory neurons and responds via motor neurons (the sensory and motor neurons are components of the peripheral nervous system). The brain is enclosed in the skull, and the spinal cord is enclosed within the spinal canal of the vertebral column. The brain and spinal cord are intimately covered by membranes called meninges and are bathed in an extracellular fluid called cerebrospinal fluid. Approximately 90% of the cells of the central nervous system are glial cells. These cells support (both physically and metabolically) the other 10% of the cells, which are the nerve cells or neurons. Although the glial cells are much more numerous than neurons, the glial cells are also much smaller and do not directly participate in the propagation and integration of information. See also: Brain; Meninges; Nerve; Nervous system (vertebrate); Neuron; Spinal cord
The content above is only an excerpt.
for your institution. Subscribe
To learn more about subscribing to AccessScience, or to request a no-risk trial of this award-winning scientific reference for your institution, fill in your information and a member of our Sales Team will contact you as soon as possible.
to your librarian. Recommend
Let your librarian know about the award-winning gateway to the most trustworthy and accurate scientific information.
AccessScience provides the most accurate and trustworthy scientific information available.
Recognized as an award-winning gateway to scientific knowledge, AccessScience is an amazing online resource that contains high-quality reference material written specifically for students. Its dedicated editorial team is led by Sagan Award winner John Rennie. Contributors include more than 9000 highly qualified scientists and 42 Nobel Prize winners.
MORE THAN 8500 articles and Research Reviews covering all major scientific disciplines and encompassing the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology and McGraw-Hill Yearbook of Science & Technology
115,000-PLUS definitions from the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms
3000 biographies of notable scientific figures
MORE THAN 17,000 downloadable images and animations illustrating key topics
ENGAGING VIDEOS highlighting the life and work of award-winning scientists
SUGGESTIONS FOR FURTHER STUDY and additional readings to guide students to deeper understanding and research
LINKS TO CITABLE LITERATURE help students expand their knowledge using primary sources of information